Wednesday, July 26, 2017

Top 5 Wednesday: Series that Improved

Top 5 Wednesday is a group on Goodreads hosted by Sam from Thoughts on Tome on Youtube.


This week's topic is to pick the top 5 series that improved as it continued.  This is by far the hardest topic I have participated in so far.  I often find that short series tend to go down hill and longer series often have ups and downs.  So it was very hard to pick five series that improved as I read more books.  Now most of these started out as really great books and just got better, because if the first book or two is awful I won't continue to read the series.


The Paths to Camelot was one of my favorite series when I was in college.  The fourth book wasn't even released in the US (at the time anyway) but it was so worth tracking it down from across the globe!


   
The Lone Star Sisters series is a contemporary romance with an underlying suspense plot line that just keeps building and improving with each book, it certainly kept me reading!


  

The Winner's Curse Trilogy definitely did not suffer from the second book slump or the epic dive with the third book at all. I think the constant use of intellectual prowess and political intrigue really kept this series improving with each book. The mind games had to keep getting better as all parties kept becoming more aware of the moving parts.


  
I know I am getting really repetitive here but the Grisha Trilogy (Shadow & Bone) really blew me away.  It really kept improving with each new intriguing character that was added to the story. 

 
I tried to keep my selections to completed series that I have read all of the books but I really couldn't go without mentioning the Ember in the Ashes series.  I loved the first book but the second book actually stopped my heart a few times! I love it and I cannot wait for the next book to come out!




So what are some of the series that you felt improved with each book? I love series that manage to just keep building and don't leave you disappointed in the end.




2 comments:

  1. I don't know how The Winners Curse series could get better than it already is! I can't wait to read book 3.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh I know, it was such a fantastic series! The scheming and plotting just keeps getting better and the characters continue to grow and develop. I can't wait to see what you think!

      Delete